Monday, June 11, 2018

Noah's Ark



Growing up in church, one of the first bible stories you learn about is Noah's Ark. God was upset with the way all the people he created were living so he decided to wash away all of the sin and start over. Of course, that's not really to point you focus on when teaching small kids about the story. You learn about the flood, that God told Noah to build an ark, and that all the animals in the world filled the ark... two by two. 😊 And after all the flood waters receded, God sent a rainbow to promise he would never flood the Earth again.

Genesis 9:15-16

"I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. 
Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life. 
Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, 
I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between 
God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth.” 


When you think about the reason God sent the flood, it's a little overwhelming to think about just how mad and hurt God must have been to decide that he just needed to wipe the slate clean and start over. I mean, he put so much time into creating this world, the animals and all the people in it. He loved us dearly! But we sinned against him SO MUCH, that he decided there was nothing else he could do but do away with all of the sin by starting all over with new people.

Genesis 6:5–8
"The Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And the Lord regretted that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart. So the Lord said, “I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, man and animals and creeping things and birds of the heavens, for I am sorry that I have made them.” But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord."

God chose Noah to be the one to build the ark. Noah was a righteous person who led a good life and believed in God. Noah obeyed God's commands and did as he asked and in return Noah and his family were saved and chosen to in time, repopulate the earth. What a weight of responsibility Noah had on his shoulders!! Can you just imagine?!


Noah is one of the great men of the bible and with the release of our new Brotherly Love stamp set, I know I wanted to illustrate him and part of his story. This page was a lot of fun to create and I kind of felt like a little kid revisiting this story and soaking in the story in a different way that I did when I was younger. When God sent the rainbow after the flood, it must have been such a beautiful sight to Noah and his family! The first rainbow ever to be seen! And now every time we see a rainbow, I tell my kids why we have rainbows!! So in completing this page I really wanted the rainbow to be bold and important. So I chose to have it stand up off the page covering the words of this beautiful story. 


I wish I could say this rainbow was fun to make.... but it was really quite difficult trying to make it stand up on the page exactly the way I wanted it too. And sadly, I wasn't able to figure out exactly how to fold it so it would pop up off my page as you open my bible 😔. So I ended up folding the edge of this cloud so it rests on my page but not permanently attached to it. I have listed all the various elements used for this page below.


xoxo,
Stephanie Gammon

Brotherly Love 

Script Outline Alpha

Skinny Minnie Alpha
Little Leo Lion Digital Stamp

You're Giraffe-ic Digital Stamp





No comments:

Post a Comment