Tuesday, September 11, 2018

God's Foundation

"Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity." (2 Timothy 2:19)


Today is the 17th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.  Who doesn't remember those exact moments when you heard about the terrorist attacks, or the planes crashing into the Towers or the Pentagon, or when the Towers fell to the ground, or the plane crashing in the field in Pennsylvania?  I was shopping at Wal-Mart at the time, and I first heard about it at the checkout.  People were gathered around in the electronics section watching the news on the TVs.  I hurried home with my three year old and six month old boys, and remained glued to the TV for most of the day--as much as I could while trying to shield my little ones from my emotions and the chaotic scenes on the television.

How our world was forever changed on that dreadful day.  Lives were lost, reality was upended, and for many, it was a time of reflection on what was truly important in our lives.  The Twin Towers of the World Trade Center came crashing down upon themselves, revealing not only weaknesses in building design, but vulnerabilities in security.  The towers' frame could not hold the flaming infernos, so the buildings and their very foundations gave way.  As two towers of dust and smoke replaced the once gleaming towers of steel, our own social, cultural and emotional foundations gave way as well.  We each realized our weakness.  We each realized our mortality.


The tragedy of that day will forever be burned in our minds and hearts.  But to the believer, and to many who began searching for answers, the tragedy caused us to grasp the truth of God's sure foundation.  Money and power will fail, but God's security is firm and forever.  He has redeemed us by the blood of Christ, and we are sealed and secure.  We can choose to remain in Him, and to depart from iniquity (sin); or we can choose to depart from Him, and remain in iniquity.  


We have a firm and sure foundation in Christ, one that will never falter.  On that truth we can build our lives.  


For this entry, I began by spritzing some Shimmerz Vibez ("Don't Rain on My Parade") and then spreading it around with a wet paint brush.  I dried that with my heat tool, and then stamped the words and tower from the Mighty Fortress stamp set.  I added some texture to the tower's blocks by painting with my aquabrush and more of that Vibez spritz.  I then splattered some of the Vibez and some black paint around the page.  I stamped a little bit of brick texture with a stamp from Texture Tiles 2.  I added some washi tape, a tab and a bow, and some journaling to complete the page.  

I pray that you find your firm and strong foundation in Jesus today, rather than in the things of this world.  Build your life, your future, your eternity, on His sure foundation!

--Julie




No comments:

Post a Comment