Friday, August 24, 2018

Autumn Memories



What is it about the changing seasons that evokes such sweet memories? I’m not sure if it’s because families start gathering for family time and the holidays? Or perhaps it’s the coziness of bringing out the sweaters and scarves?

To me, there’s not much more delightful than a drive through the country and being in awe of all the colors. In the fall, God’s palette seems limitless with golds, oranges, reds, and purples. I love when a bright crimson leaf is swirling and dancing in the crisp air.

Can you tell that fall is definitely my favorite season...and my favorite color?

There is just something so comforting about autumn. It’s as if God is embracing me just a bit tighter before the season changes.

Last month, I shared with you from Psalm 91. It was my Daddy’s favorite passage. It is quickly becoming one of my favorites, too, as I ponder it over and over.

These last few days, I have gone back to the comfort of Psalm 91. Verse 2 really resonated with me and I stopped.  I paused.  I prayed.  And I pondered some more.


“This I declare about the Lord: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I trust him.”
‭‭Psalm‬ ‭91:2‬ ‭NLT‬‬


While I love the comforts of fall, and the warm feelings it brings to mind, nothing compares to the safety and comfort of God himself.

David, amidst all the struggles in his life, amidst all the delights in his palace, declared that “God alone” was his refuge and comfort.

How many things do we let try and fill that place in our lives? The comforts of family and home are great, but they can’t begin to measure up to what God has for us.

Last week, my daughter has a horrible scare at her apartment complex. It involved an armed robbery and a shootout in the parking lot right under her apartment window. I was one frightened momma as she was telling the details.  But God...He reminded me that I am not my daughter’s safety, He is. Period.

David continues in verse 2 telling us that “he is my God, and I will trust him.” Do I trust Him? With everything? Do I find my comfort in God alone? Do I proclaim “In Him, there is safety?” or do I put my trust in things...or people around me?

Seasons are always changing. Whether that be the physical season of the weather around us or the emotional and spiritual season within us, change is inevitable. But it doesn’t have to be fearful, because God alone is our refuge and safety.

Much to ponder today my friends. As you make sweet memories in the changing seasons, I encourage you to trust God. He is our comfort!



Art Behind the Story:

Since fall is definitely my favorite, I jumped at the opportunity to use Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps new release Incredibly Blessed.  I love that the stamps are so versatile and that they coordinate with all of my other brands of ephemera and supplies.  

For this page, I applied a light watercolor wash to the background before placing my paper pieces on the page.  I stamped the pumpkin, leaves, and the acorns on cardstock.  I messy water colored them, and then fussy cut them to create my own die cuts.  Next, I just had fun creating this fall page and pondering the comforts of our God.

Let me know what your favorite fall things are in the comments.


Hugs, 

Gayle



No comments:

Post a Comment