Saturday, September 21, 2019

With ALL your heart...

Hi friends,

I think one of the most well-known verses in the Bible must be 'Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.' (Proverbs 3:5). I find that with overfamiliarity comes a risk of not hearing these verses afresh in a way that speaks our lives in the present.


When I was creating this page I was meditating on this verse and began to see it in a new way. I have always thought of this verse as an exhortation to trust in the Lord with our whole being and rely totally on him - and I do think this is a key meaning of this text. But I began to see something in the phrase 'with all your heart'...


I was struck by the complexity of the human heart. It contains desires, brokenness, sin, beliefs, experiences and in the Bible it represents the very core of a person. I began to think about what it would mean to trust God with ALL our heart - the broken parts, the sinful parts, the desires (whatever they may be), the passions - ALL of it.


I think we can know in our heads and our belief systems that God is trustworthy, and we say that we trust in him. But do we trust him with everything? I know for me, this has been tested many times, including recently. Do I trust him with the pieces of my broken heart? Do I trust him with my wayward heart's desires? Do I trust him with the sin-stained parts of my heart? If I do, then I need to give my heart to him over and over in each moment and trust that he will heal, cleanse and restore where it is desperately needed.


I used a combination of images from Mason Jar Bouquet and Made New on this page, stamping them with Versamagic Black ink and colouring with Inktense pencils and an aquabrush. The verse was stamped with the new Trust in the Lord set, which I'm loving!



I hope you'll join me in meditating on the truth of this passage and commit ALL of the parts of your heart to the Lord, because he is so very trustworthy.

Be blessed...

x Amy x


No comments:

Post a Comment