Saturday, January 12, 2019

Guard your Heart...

Hi friends,

Have you ever heard a verse quoted so often that it begins to lose meaning for you? Or maybe its been quoted out of context in an unhelpful way? I've heard the verse 'Keep your heart with all diligence, for out of it spring the issues of life' (Prov 4:23) many, many times. Unfortunately, it was often in a context of covering or excusing other people's words and behaviour and laying  responsibility at the feet of the person who had potentially been hurt. For this reason I got to the point of almost 'eye-rolling' when I heard this verse - which I admit is a very poor response to the word of God! It really is the opposite of 'guarding your heart' ironically!


So as we approach Valentine's Day (and I have heart-themed stamps to play with!) I looked up 'heart' in the Bible and this verse came up. Instead of rolling my eyes, I decided to illustrate this in my Bible and meditate on this scripture in order to hear God's truth. The thing that I realised is that guarding our heart is not about not letting hurt or disappointment touch or affect us. It's not about being robots that don't feel pain or about ignoring the hurtful behaviour of others (which many times needs to be addressed). This scripture is encouraging us to guard our heart with the word of God (read the surrounding verses that talk about paying attention to the writer's words).


You see, when the word of God guards out heart, it will act as a filter for what goes in and what goes out. When hurt or disappointment comes to our heart, the word of God gives us God's perspective, grace and healing. When praise and success come our way, the word of God guards against pride and self-sufficiency. When lies are spoken into our ears and want to filter their way into our hearts, the word of God guards against their impact, holding up the shield of truth to deflect the darts of the enemy. So how do we guard our heart? Fill it up with the word of God! Saturate your heart in the Scriptures. Meditate and memorise God's truth.


I had fun creating a background with gelatos on this page, stamping and using alphabet stickers over the top to create the verse. I drew the red heart first, adding layers of colour around it in rainbow order, then blended the colours with clear gesso and my finger (messy but fun!). When this was dry I went back over the top with some more colour, blending it with my finger again over the background to intensify the colours.  I used the new Stamp of the Month, Filigree Hearts, as well as Happy Alpha and All Your Heart on this page.


Let's guard our hearts with the word of God and allow his truth to shield every part of our lives!

x Amy x



No comments:

Post a Comment