Monday, April 1, 2019

Sweet Words


"Gracious words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the bones." - Proverbs 16:24


We've all heard the children's rhyme: "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." It sure would be nice if that were true, right? The reality is that words can hurt. I've been on the receiving end of some hurtful words recently, and while I know they're not the truth according to God's Word, they still hurt my heart. So what do you do when words hurt? The first thing you need to do is take it to God and compare it against His Word. What does God say about you? God says you are created in His image (Genesis 1:27); God says you are unique (Psalm 139:14); God says you are valuable (Matthew 10:31); God says you are a sinner (Romans 3:23), but that you have been saved by grace through faith (Ephesians 2:8-9); God says you are His child (1 John 3:2); God says you are made new (2 Corinthians 5:17); and God says you are victorious through Christ (1 Corinthians 15:57). Philippians 4 says to think on what is true, honest, just, pure, and lovely. Do the words match up to any of these things? If not, don't dwell on them and certainly don't give them precedence in your heart and mind. Let the peace of God rule in your heart instead (Colossians 3:15). 

I had fun creating this page using the Cheerful Hexies and Marquee Caps Alphas from Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps. It gave me time to reflect on my own words and whether I'm using them to uplift and encourage, or to cut and tear down. I want my words to be sweet words that reflect Christ's love in me. ❤

I pray this encourages your heart today, dear friend. May you use this day as an opportunity to encourage someone with sweet words. 

Love in Christ, 
Janelle ☺



No comments:

Post a Comment