Saturday, March 9, 2019

Correction and Instruction...

Hi friends,

One of the truths that I have grown to really believe and value is the importance of instruction in my life. Now, to be fair, I love to learn - I love reading and studying and finding out new things, whether that be about the Bible or about learning to paint. I am someone who loves knowledge. Sometimes I forget that this applies to other areas of my life as well, for example relationships and health. It's all too easy to go on auto-pilot in these areas and forget that learning is still required in order to grow.



One particular aspect of learning that I am not so quick to love is correction. Maybe it's the perfectionist in me, the desire to be right (pride!!), but I have been overly sensitive to correction in the past. I am slowly learning that correction is absolutely vital to life and growth, because as humans we never get it right all the time! We need to be shown when we have missed the mark, or could do better in some area, no matter how painful that might be. Instead of viewing correction and criticism as a personal attack or statement about our intrinsic worth, we need to embrace it as a God-given gift to help us grow.


Proverbs 6:23 speaks of the commandment being a lamp and teaching being a light. It goes on to say that correction and instruction are the way to life. Just like beautiful flowers need tending and pruning to become the best they can be, we require correction and instruction to live the life God has created us to live, as followers of Christ and ambassadors of his kingdom. Let's not avoid correction and instruction, or react in an overly sensitive way when it comes our way. Instead, let's embrace God's gracious gifts to help us grow!


I had fun playing with this month's Stamp of the Month, Doodle Florals, on this page, watercolouring the stamped images with Prima's Classics palette. I stamped the verse using a combination of Bitty Minnie Alpha, Typewriter Blocks Alpha and Life in Jesus.



Thank you Lord for your gracious instruction and correction in our lives in all its forms!

x Amy x


No comments:

Post a Comment