Thursday, October 31, 2019

God is my Confidence

"Your promise still stands, great is Your faithfulness...I'm still in Your hands. 
This is my confidence: You've never failed me yet!"  Elevation Worship, "Do it Again"


Heya!
Deeds here :D

Goodness me!  The day before the new month, and we're already on a new release for Sweet n Sassy Stamps!  It's exciting to see what the designers come up with, and if you would just join me in a quick "SHOUT OUT" for all their love and efforts, that would be awesome!
GIRLS, YOU ROCK IT!
I hope you were able to watch the release yesterday - it was pretty exciting!

During this time of transition from October to November, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has experienced a bit of "labor pains" of new routines or revamped schedules.  When Fall falls, we all get the sense that things are gonna change for sure.  We grow fond of our leafy decor, pumpkin patches, PSL's, foliage ventures, and fun sayings hanging above our stoked fireplaces. 
Our hearts tend hopeful as we go from a long and busy summer to a cooler, tempered autumn.  It's not easy to readjust to the new norm of activity, events, rainy days, and sick kids.  But, it's a lot easier with a cup of hot something or other and a fun, full scarf!
What I'm saying is, transition is good, interesting and sometimes difficult.  It can be helpful, awkward, or wonderful, or all three!
We've had a bit of changing around here, recently.  It's been good, bad, ugly and exciting all wrapped up into one hot mess.  Some call it, "life."
Not perfect. 
Not terrible.
Doable.
Life.
I needed ALL the space to place my Charles Spurgeon notes inside this page,
so I made sure to keep the background simple with ink smooshing.

With such transitions,  I exercise my emotional "muscles" in this little world of mine - flexes from  overwhelming joy to overwhelming overwhelmed-ness.  I don't know how else to say it.
But, as one who claims the Lord Jesus as Savior, I'm learning what it means to lean.  I'm understanding a bit more of what the good Lord means by, "trust in the LORD with all of your heart."

God is gracious.  That is certain.
God is faithful.  That is forever!
Keep that in mind, Deeds.

As hindsight took a 20/20 these last couple of weeks, I came to understand - AGAIN - the working of God's character in all situations.  It hasn't been the best of 2 weeks.  In fact, the sinful nature of my heart kicked and screamed against some of the happenings that God allowed, namely, physical injuries, personal insults, sick children, and the like. 
Even still, we have yet to reach the mountain crest again, and when we do, I've elected to look with fondness at the passing of the valley.  
I don't like the valley.
I don't like the shadows in the valley.
I don't like the idea of the valley.
I don't like the possibilities of the valley.
I don't like the presence of the valley.
It's hard in the valley.

What did we say before?
God is gracious.  That is certain.
God is faithful.  That is forever.

I highly recommend reading Charles Spurgeon's notes on Psalm 44!
They are wonderful!!

I read Psalm 44 somewhere in the middle of what I would call "a siege."  Fairly timely, as per usual for God.  What a read!
Here, we have 8 full and worshipful verses speaking to God's care, control, deliverance, power, Kingship and authority.  It's beautiful.  It's what I would say from any peak! 
It's also a surprising lead to verse 9 and following, where we get an immediate turn about - the exact opposite sentiments of the prior 8 verses.  This point of the chapter brings weightiness to my heart.  Most likely because it's this last half or so of the Psalm that I resonate with the most. 
God, where are you?
Have you forgotten me?
Have you forsaken me?
Do you love me anymore?
Is my life hidden from your sight?

Oh, friends, it's hard in the valley.  It's hard to systematically work through the bitter edges of the puzzle, trying to put pieces together that make any sense whatsoever. 
It's hard in the valley. 
As I talked with my insta-bestie, Colleen (@stirthesoul), we shared with one another the expression, "count it all joy," as it pertains to our lives currently.  We encouraged each other with this:
"It's in the valleys we become closest to God."  YES!
It's in the valleys we learn our total and utter dependence on the rightful Keeper of our faith. Amen!

How are we to have joy in the pits?
Why are we to have joy in the deep ravines?

Because, Psalm 44:1-8
Read it...rejoice in it...

O God, we have heard with our ears,
    our fathers have told us,
what deeds you performed in their days,
    in the days of old:
you with your own hand drove out the nations,
    but them you planted;
you afflicted the peoples,
    but them you set free;
for not by their own sword did they win the land,
    nor did their own arm save them,
but your right hand and your arm,
    and the light of your face,
    for you delighted in them.
You are my King, O God;
    ordain salvation for Jacob!
Through you we push down our foes;
    through your name we tread down those who rise up against us.
For not in my bow do I trust,
    nor can my sword save me.
But you have saved us from our foes
    and have put to shame those who hate us.
In God we have boasted continually,
    and we will give thanks to your name forever.  Selah

Amen!?
 
I went ahead and created an insert for my "loved" Bible, so that someone else may see and read for herself:
God is gracious and faithful!
As life transitions, changes, falls where it may, there can be dark periods wherein we MUST persist!  The way we do this with anticipation, joy and hope, is by praising God through His immutable characteristics!  There are many, but what did we say before?
God is gracious.  That is certain!
God is faithful.  That is forever!
Moving through valleys brings a clearer view of our powerlessness compared to an all-powerful God!
It brings us to a humbled place before our Sovereign Lord.
It moves us to a contriteness before our merciful Savior.

Not convinced?
Re-read verses 1-8 again. 
The psalmist writes of a history.  A history of his people.  His fathers.  His ancestors who knew and saw the glory of God.  It's a record.  A remembering.  A recalling of facts of Almighty God.

We do not need to be on the mountaintop to see that God is gracious.  That is certain!  His present touch and handle on your life and mine is as close in proximity as when we're walking tippy top, sunshine warming our face!
We do not need to fear the valley; God is faithful.  That is forever!  His never-changing person brings a hope in who He has been from the beginning of time. 

I like the precious moments He sends to reassure me: I am His. 
The other night, during youth group worship we sang the song, "Do it again," by Elevation Worship.  I listened to every lyric, attempting to capture each one in my heart and feed it to my soul. 
Good stuff.
Stuff that helps bring a soul up to worship; lift it up to song and praise.
I've seen You move!  You move the mountains! 
And I believe I'll see You do it again!
The refrain, "but you have never failed me yet," holds dear to me, and as I await the next peak of sunshine, I want to remember: "great is Your faithfulness, Your faithfulness!  Your promise still stands, THIS IS MY CONFIDENCE, YOU'VE NEVER FAILED ME YET." 

In this low, I am high with confidence in a God that never fails. 
In this ache, I am healed with confidence in a God that never fails.
In this darkness, I am guided with confidence in a God that never fails.
Never.
Not. Ever.


Much love,
Deeds

IG: @mercies_journaled


Thanks for reading, friends!  I encourage you to dive into Psalm 44 today and read of God's character.



No comments:

Post a Comment