Saturday, May 11, 2019

Made Perfect & Being Made Holy...

Hi friends,

I have recently completed a module on the book of Hebrews at college and have learnt so much in the process, as well as having been reminded of important truths that I have been taught in the past but really need to meditate on in the present.


One of these truths is this verse in Hebrews 10:14 which I saw in a new light having studied Greek this year. When it says he has made perfect forever, this verb 'made perfect' is in a Greek tense which means that it is a past action with ongoing present significance. So the sacrifice of Christ made us perfect in the past, which has ongoing impact on the present. What an amazing thought!


The second part of this verse is closely related: those who have been made perfect are being made holy. This is the difference between justification and sanctification: justification is when we were made perfect by the sacrifice of Jesus, and sanctification is the ongoing process of that perfection working its way into every corner of our lives in our being made holy. It is so important that we recognise both parts of the truth of this verse. Sometimes we can become disillusioned by the unholiness of our present lives that we forget that God has already made us perfect. But there is a danger that we can focus so much on having been made perfect that we forget that the ongoing process of being made holy in our thoughts, words and actions is very important as well.


I wanted to try to represent this passage of scripture in the colours I used, so I chose red for the 'having been made perfect' part, because it is only through the blood of Jesus that we can be perfect in God's sight. I chose white for 'being made holy' as this represented purity to me. The butterflies that I've stenciled turn from red to white as they are exposed more and more to the light of God's truth (represented by the yellow). Butterflies are a particular favourite of mine as they represent transformation (and they are SO pretty!!). There are so many ways to illustrate a scripture, and choosing colours is a great one to try - it really makes you think through the symbolism and meaning behind what you are meditating on.


After I created the background and stenciling with acrylic paints, I stamped the verse with a combination of Joint Heirs, Typewriter Blocks Alpha and Bitty Minnie Alpha, combined with a few white alphabet stickers. I added some washi tape and a dimensional butterfly sticker to finish this page off. Here are the sets I used:


 

I hope you are encouraged as you reflect on what the sacrifice of Jesus has done in making us perfect and continuing to make us holy!

Every blessing...

x Amy x



No comments:

Post a Comment