Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Comforting Others Is a Gift

 


2 Corinthians 1:3-4
"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God."


Unfortunate things and hard time happen to all of us, just as God said it would...

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
John 16:33

God knew we would have suffering in our lives, and his gift to us is peace. The peace he gives to us surpasses all understanding. And what a gift it is! Trials in our lives can leave us completely and utterly drained and exhausted. I know personally there are times that I've cried so many tears I think I completely ran out of them! 


But other than the gift of peace, we also gain the gift of experience that we can then share with others and use to comfort them in return. I know it sounds like it kind of sucks. "Hey, I don't want to suffer just so I can comfort others! That's no fun!" But, it's really just a silver lining, a precious gift. A way we can turn a negative situation into a positive. 

The apostle Paul was a man who endured many tribulations in his lifetime. In the letters he wrote to the church he describes all the hard times he faced and how God helped him through each of them. His letters have become instrumental in the lives of those he knew and to the generations of people that have read them in the bible since then.

On a personal note, losing my dad almost 2 years ago (wow I can't believe its already been that long!) was the most traumatic thing I have experienced in my life so far. It was a real struggle that first year but it has gotten easier to deal with over time. But, I have come to learn personally that from that experience, I have in turn been able to give pieces of advice to others going through similar situations. People find a lot of comfort in the simple fact of knowing they aren't alone in a dark time.


The reason I painted Reese's peanut butter cups on my page is because are one of my favorite types of chocolate. Chocolate is ALWAYS a physical comfort to me. If I'm sad, hurt, stressed, mad, so many emotions seem to feel better with chocolate! So that's my little physical comfort that I seek in those moments. 

But, when my heart is heavy, stressed and not at peace, God is ALWAYS my first go-to source for comfort. And he never disappoints! 

xoxo,
Stephanie Gammon



Mini Grunge Type Alpha 

Bold & Outline Alpha 

Bitty Minnie Alpha 

Grunge Elements 2

No comments:

Post a Comment