Thursday, November 21, 2019

The First Christmas


Hymnal Excerpt of 
"O Holy Night"

When I think about Christmas, one of my favorite memories is singing Christmas hymns in church. So I pulled out my old hymnal and started looking for Christmas songs. I flipped to "O Holy Night" and found a beautiful excerpt from Ruth Bell Graham's children's book titled "Our Christmas Story" 1959. Ruth was the wife of well known evangelist Billy Graham. She was an integral part of his ministry for many years and also the author of 14 books.


The excerpt reads:

The First Christmas

There she was. The young woman with the radiant smile. She was leaning against on of the stalls, and the eyes in the happy face were closed. The man was at her side. And behind them, in the manger where the cows came for their food, was the Baby.

He was a tiny thing, wrapped tightly in a long linen band and sleeping as soundly as any newborn baby. Sleeping as though the world had not waited thousands of years for this moment. As soundly as though your life and my life and the life of everyone on earth were not wrapped up in His birth. As though from this moment on all the sin and sorrow of the world were not His problem.

Should you speak to His mother resting so quietly there? Should you ask her if you might touch the Baby - not to wake Him, but just to touch His hand?

What a moment that would have been! To have reached out your own hand and touched the Son of God!

Ruth Bell Graham
From Our Christmas Story
by Mrs. Billy Graham


I love how she wrote that piece. We have heard the Christmas Story so many times, we all know how it goes. But to try and put yourself in that moment, to actually be there, what would you think? What would you do? Could you even move at all? Would you fall to your knees? I'm pretty sure I'd be frozen in amazement and then fall to my knees worshiping this tiny baby. What an overwhelmingly amazing moment that would have been to be there! Wow!

  

I chose to decorate this page in a simple and classic way. I softened the edges with blue watercolor first. Then randomly stamped pine branches and pinecones from the set Christmas Pine (listed below). I then created some wordfetti from the set called Christmas Wordfetti, cut them out, dusted the edged with some distress oxide, and glued them down. I glued a few pieces of gold confetti and dabbed a few dots of white paint around the edges, and done! A sweet yet simple classic page to enhance a classic Christmas hymn!


xoxo,
Stephanie Gammon


Christmas Wordfetti

Christmas Pine







No comments:

Post a Comment