Monday, March 7, 2016

His Banner Over Me

Hello, this is Diane.  I'm thrilled to be joining the Creative Worship team at Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps with my first post.  I was amazed that Korin invited me since I'm so new to Bible art-journaling.  Perhaps she knew me well enough to know I'd fall in love with this art form because it takes me to the Word of God...one of my favorite places to be. There is so much I have to learn, but perhaps those of you who are new to Bible journaling too will come to realize like I have, that you quickly lose yourself in the worship part of this experience.  There is no one right style or level of expertise required to make art-journaling work for you.  Just dive in, let God wash over you with more and more of who He is, and the art is personal to YOU.  It certainly helps to have a variety of wonderful stamps from Korin's new line...just for Bible journaling...Creative Worship. Isn't that the perfect name, because that's exactly what we do.  We express our worship through a fun, uplifting and personally creative form of art.  

Since my husband and I will celebrate another anniversary next month, April 2, I decided to design something in Song of Solomon.  David and I wrote our own vows using verses from this book, so it made a great canvas for art-journaling. Korin had the perfect stamp set in the Creative Worship section of her store...

http://www.sweetnsassystamps.com/worship-the-lord-clear-stamp-set/
 
 
Here is the two page spread I designed.  I wanted an old, splashy antique watercolor look to it. (I'm still very much in the experimenting stages, determining how art mediums interact with the thin pages of my Bible.  I'd read about practicing on some of the back pages in your Bible which I thought was a great idea.)  I depicted SS 2:4, 16 in the margin of the left page..."my page" and the verse David referenced (SS 4:9) in his vows on the right page.  I feel very sheltered in our marriage.  Thinking of David's love being over me like a protective banner so aptly describes the safety I feel.  Husbands are to nurture their wives, bringing them to a banquet table of all that delights a woman's heart and soul.


I brushed over the entire surface of both pages with brown watercolor and added more distressing by sponging with brown ink and creating some darker splatters.  I taped off the two verses I wanted to highlight later with red.


David's vows were amazing.  But when he got to his paraphrased version of SS 4:9, I melted.  All he did was to insert my name in the verse! I was already David's sister in Christ. That is a deep bond that makes the marriage relationship, being his bride, even deeper, stronger, more resilient through the storms of life and love.

To design "his page" I used the heart from the set and colored with watercolor paints again. I hand-lettered on both pages---ugh, still lots of practicing to do on that!  Since the theme is about banners, I thought it would be fun to add the washi tape banner.  I've spent years designing greeting cards and could just never get the hang of washi tape.  Bible journaling is MADE for it!  I've used it more in the time I've been journaling (weeks) than in all my years making cards!  It made a perfect little banner and that added some color to my page.

I'm so looking forward to this journey with Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps, with Korin, and all the precious ladies here.  And I'm looking forward to the journey with YOU.  We are so glad you are here, so thankful that you might find a little inspiration from our projects.  We know will love all the new sets coming out that will be perfect for your art journaling.  So come back and visit the Creative Worship section of the store often. 

Blessings on your day, and thank you so much for stopping in.   



4 comments:

  1. Love your page :) The banner is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sweet of you to come by and leave a comment! Thanks for the encouragement, Lucinde!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you so much Judy for taking the time to leave a comment and encouragement. I appreciate it so much.

      Delete